Story how I choose the new CMS/web-builder for my Psy.in photo-art galleries. Eventually I'm on SmugMug & Pixieset
Time ago it was super talented and experienced web-programmer living next to me for years, together we made lots of exiting web-things and I didn't have any questions related to website building. He created first Psy.in on Wordpress and then upgraded with more features, updated it with actual innovations, inserting any new idea what comes to our minds. Then super-webPro left our fund - idea of "non-profit" began to sound scary for my friend, (when he realised that we really intending to keep that direction - as I only can suspect). He went to work on big chemical company, and have very limited time to connect and assist the humanity throw us, using his skills and web-intuition*.
Collection of pictures raised from hundreds to thousands, and people who loves it - from few of my friends and family members to small community, which is promise to be much wider. Wordpress without the web-master shows all of its whims, and after weeks of "Error establishing a database connection" I dive into the exiting world of web-builders again. Below are the main points - positive & negative of each in few words - I'm not going to write a book about that*.
I 'm going to write a book about our passion to chocolate, about idea of tree ownership - how to own the cacao tree with new ideas to make our Tree Owners Clubs globally known concept - Tree Owners Clubs all around the world. Also here are new posts on Nakhon Si Thammarat blog page about that, and more coming. And Dozen - hotels, villas and people - we should work on it, otherwise nothing will save future of tourism from boredom and triviality.
All web-builders what I checked and declined
5. ZenFolio - in a morning it was a winner - but now on day 9 changes applied - I'm not going to use Zenfolio - my feeling that they made it good time ago, then sold and stop to care about clients so much. Here are the points:
Positive things first to show the best of Zenfolio - why I almost paid for it:
+ easiness in website building,
+ nice look - full-screen templates,
+ and the recent news what I randomly noticed while searching - that Art.com bought Zenfolio** - all together made my first positive feeling to try it more during the trial period. Psy.in was with Zenfolio, now on Smugmug.
Next at same day I more enjoying Redframe and Pixieset, which both are free of commission. So obvious minuses of Zenfolio are:
- 20$/month with 7% free & unlimited storage - Zenfolio most popular plan. Not the best offer by terms provided.
- Commission - I stopped to understand why I was going to pay commission for my own clients, after all existing commissions.
- Zenfolio logo - you can't remove it even with 60$/year plan - those owners and developers so amazingly far from us, like its other galaxy - lots of their clients asking to update it for years, without any success.
- no referral or partner discounts (easy to get and more amount of discount on smugmug) - Zenfolio affiliated program offers 10% go me & referral, what is the minimum what I saw in web ever, however they didn't approve me even with that terms, without the explanations about 1000 visitors/month is nothing for such a hugeMonsta.
Finalists winning trio
3. Redframe - all good here with Redframe, however its doesn't looks oftenly updated. 16$/month plan if pay annually. I used it for 2 days during the 2 weeks trial period.
+ unlimited storage.
+ no commission on sales.
- some features used Joomla-style scripts - I'm afraid of Joomla, its scary stuff - really scary.
- Shopping features made too complicated for me.
* Its not a post aboutour preItMasta or any other person, adding just that sometimes he was feeling himself in web-jungles as tiger in a deer forest, who decided to be vegetarian. After the while he notice, that all good vegan food in a forest eaten by bears and deer, roaring on Moon and missing his homeJungles with its hidden chain of little cosy palaces, which only one know. This one knows lots of things, but who knows this one? - we teased him, giving more and more work.
**Was sounds melodic - art.com bought zenfolio.
Thoughts and ideas